Home Inspection FAQs
Answering your questions
AmeriSpec Home Inspection Services of Greater Vancouver wants you to fully understand the features and benefits of our home inspections so you have complete confidence in using our services. Reading answers to our customers’ most frequently asked questions will definitely help, but if you have other questions, don’t hesitate to contact us. We’ll answer all of them for you.
Q: Why do I need a home inspection?
A: Whether you’re a buyer or a seller, a home inspection provides invaluable details about the condition of a home. It’s important for homeowners to learn as much as they can about a property so they can make any necessary repairs if they have been reported. Home inspectors can also suggest preventative measures that will help you avoid costly future repairs.
Q: Do I have to attend the home inspection?
A: It’s a good idea to attend the home inspection because you will see firsthand the condition of the main components of the structure and property. The inspector will educate you about the home, openly inform you of his findings and recommend any action. Questions and concerns can be addressed immediately as they arise. You may also follow up with the inspector once you receive your written report. It’s important for sellers to keep in mind that the inspector has not been retained to point out all of the good aspects of the home, and they should not feel offended when the inspector points out a defect or potential defects.
Q: How long will the inspection take?
A: The length of the inspection depends on the type and condition of the property. Our skilled inspectors might take:
- 1½ – 2 hours for a condo unit
- 1 – 2½ hours for a townhouse
- 2½ – 3 hours for a detached house less than 3000 sq. ft.
More time may be necessary to check homes with crawlspaces and attics, and to answer questions on site.
Q: What does the inspector do? What does the inspection entail?
A: The inspector and inspection will provide:
- a thorough visual interior and exterior inspection of the structure from roof to foundation
- an examination of the major systems of the home (includes heating, electrical, plumbing)
- an objective evaluation of the condition of 400+ items
- a guided walk through the home to educate you about its condition and operating systems, including maintenance and safety suggestions
- a printed report, with photos, that identifies potential concerns and details all findings, including any recommended action
Q: What other kinds of inspections do you do?
- wet areas and water leakage
- points of lost energy
- plumbing leaks
- overheating electrical components
Energy Evaluations — include a personalized report on your home’s energy efficiency and recommendations. They are available for new and existing homes and may be required for some government and utility programs.
The evaluation will include a review of:
- heating system
- hot water system
- air leakage
Contact us for more details or to arrange any of these additional AmeriSpec services.
Q: How do I pay for the inspection services?
A: AmeriSpec Inspection Services accepts credit cards (Visa and MasterCard), personal cheques and cash. Payment by credit card can be made online or payment is collected at the time of inspection. If unable to attend the inspection in person, credit card payment can made online.
Q: When will I receive the report?
A: The detailed narrative report on the home, including photos, will be promptly emailed to you the evening of the same day the inspection occurs, or no later than the following morning. The report will go directly to you, the buyer, and will not be shared with anyone else unless you authorize it.
Q: If I refer AmeriSpec to a customer, am I liable?
A: AmeriSpec inspectors have extensive Errors and Omissions insurance. This means that both you and your clients are protected if something should happen during an inspection. For further details, call us at 604-430-0343.
Q: Why choose AmeriSpec instead of an independent company?
A: As North America’s leading home inspection company, AmeriSpec has over 350 independently owned and operated businesses that conduct in excess of 150,000 inspections annually in Canada and the U.S.
AmeriSpec of Greater Vancouver provides:
- AmeriSpec quality service to Vancouver and all of the Lower Mainland region
- an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau
- inspections 7 days a week, including short notice bookings
- highly skilled and experienced inspectors
- a 400+ item inspection report with photos packaged in an attractive binder
- RecallChek and 90 Day Warranty
- valuable offers from major retailers and service providers
- peace of mind from knowing as much as possible about a prospective investment!
Q: What are the inspector’s qualifications?
A: Our inspectors are BC licensed and HIABC (Home Inspectors Association British Columbia) certified. All go through extensive training and continuing education so they can provide home buyers the utmost peace of mind.
Q: Is the inspector insured? What is my client’s guarantee?
A: Our inspectors are covered by Business Liability Insurance for any damage or injury that might occur during an inspection (up to $5 million) and Errors and Omissions Insurance, which covers any damages as a result of the inspector making a mistake ($1 million per inspector). AmeriSpec stands behind our inspection reports given the condition of the property at the time of the inspection. Conditions do change over time, so the inspection and the report are not a warranty or insurance policy.